Homemade Granola (Gluten-Free)
There is nothing quite as simple as homemade granola. Mix, cook and eat. And you can make it with whatever ingredients you have on hand.
I get a craving for oatmeal quite regularly, but sometimes I just don’t have it in me to cook the darned stuff. Lucky, I sometimes have the foresight to make some granola ahead of time. It is so brain-dead simple to make. Seriously. Also, if you’re allergic to certain nuts, leave them out, baby.
Don’t be scared of the olive oil in this recipe. I was aching for a way to take the dairy out of my recipe, and then saw olive oil used in the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook (totally worth getting the book, by the way!) Eureka! I pinky-swear you’ll never know there’s olive oil in there after it’s cooked.
My recipe is easy, and will enable you to sleep in an extra 5 lazy minutes next Monday. Or Saturday. Ya know, in case you’re inclined to do so. Chunk up some berries, drizzle with yogurt, and sprinkle some of this granola on top. Breakfast (or dessert) is served.
- Preheat oven to 250F
- Add oats, nuts and coconut to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add honey, maple syrup, oil, vanilla and kosher salt.
- Mix well.
- Spread mixture on two sheet pans.
- Cook for 75 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheets.
- Once cooled, (it may stick a little, just scrape it all off), store in an airtight container for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for longer storage.