Balsamic Vinegar, Strawberries & Cream
Balsamic vinegar and strawberries? It might sound strange, but I promise you, nothing will surprise you more.
Summer is around the corner, and I am waiting like a kid for the Easter bunny to arrive. Only my bunny brings berries… Every year we have a bounty of fresh berries that would blow your mind. Seriously.
Until that time, when the sweet aroma of my strawberry bed is wafting through my window, I’ll go with organic berries in the store. With a little trick, they are quite yummy. I’ll be doing this with those local berries when the time comes. I will need some time alone…
Take your time just once to really let the bliss of this simple dish sink in. Savor that sweet silky texture of the berries… with the tang of vinegar… and the cool creaminess. See? Some things take time to appreciate.
Here’s how I made this bowl of deeply red berries…
- Strawberries, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sweetener of your choice (sugar, honey, etc.)
- Heavy cream
- Drizzle berries with vinegar.
- Sprinkle (or drizzle) with sweetener and gently toss.
- If you can stand it, let them sit for a few minutes - this is also known as "macerating". (I prepare thus far before dinner, and let them sit like this as room temperature while we eat.)
- Drizzle with cream (or whipped cream… Put down the can…. And that plastic tub of chemicals… I mean it!)